Cancer and cancer treatments may cause your mouth and/or throat to become sore or tender.
Try these tips:
- Choose soft, moist foods. Examples can be found in the “Soft and Moist Food Choices” table below.
- Puree food if necessary. Use a blender or food processor to create a smooth texture. Try using broth with meats when blending.
- Focus on protein rich foods that are easier to eat, like scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, rice pudding, fish and creamy macaroni and cheese.
- Add extra sauces, dressings and gravies to foods to help moisten them.
- Try sucking on ice chips when you have mouth pain and drinking through a straw to avoid sore spots.
Foods that are painful will vary from person to person. The following foods may be painful to eat:
- Tart and acidic foods like citrus (oranges, grapefruit, lemons, limes), tomatoes and pineapple
- Salty foods
- Rough foods, such as dry toast, crackers, chips, pretzels, nuts, raw fruits and vegetables
- Spices, seasonings and condiments, such as pepper, chili powder, salsa, ketchup, horseradish, hot sauces and pickles
- Alcoholic and carbonated drinks
Caring for Your Mouth
Maintain good oral hygiene. Rinse your mouth three to four times daily with a saltwater rinse (one quart water, one teaspoon baking soda and 3/4 teaspoon salt).
Use a soft bristled toothbrush and avoid mouthwashes that contain alcohol.
Soft and Moist Food Choices
||Scrambled eggs, omelet, quiche or soufflé
Tender meat, chicken or fish that is pureed, chopped or ground
Chicken, tuna, egg or ham salad
Casseroles with creamy sauces and tender meats
Meatloaf with gravy, chicken pot pie
Milkshakes, smoothies or oral nutrition supplements
Cream, potato, split pea or bean soup
|Milk and dairy
||Milk, soymilk, buttermilk
Cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese sauces or soft cheeses
Ice cream, frozen yogurt
Chocolate milk or eggnog
||Mashed potatoes, soft peas and sweet potatoes
Macaroni and cheese
Pancakes and French toast with butter, jelly or syrup to moisten
Pasta and rice in gravy or sauce
|Fruits and vegetables
||Cooked or pureed non-acidic fruits and vegetables
Ripe bananas, watermelon and frozen fruits
||Custard, pudding, rice pudding or mousse
Cheesecake, ice cream, hot cocoa with milk