Business Office Supervisor
Fort Myers, Florida - Gateway location
This job description does not constitute an offer of employment or employment contract.
Individuals responding to job postings are considered to be applicants for a particular position only after they have been invited to complete the company's official printed employment application form. Florida Cancer Specialists is an equal opportunity employer.
Position Summary: Review and supervise insurance billing, aging, and collection activity of assigned insurance collections staff members. Provide guidance and training of assigned staff members. Assure that policy and procedures are adhered to as outlined in the business office and employee manuals. Support the financial goals of the company by being fiscally responsible in all areas, including staffing and purchasing.
Minimum of 5 years of recent medical office work experience with at least 2 years in a supervisory role and an understanding of insurance contracts. Strong verbal skills and the ability to communicate with doctors and staff of other departments. A Bachelors Degree in business is preferred. Must complete 20 CEU billing/collections credits annually.
Key Performance Areas:
- Responsible for reporting patterns/trends to applicable departments for any potential in delay/denial of reimbursements.
- Manage actions relating to delinquent accounts, special adjustments, and/or write-offs.
- Request, prepare, and/or maintain requested reports on billing and collection activities.
- Maintain up-to-date expertise and knowledge of healthcare billing laws, rules, regulations, and developments necessary for the company.
- Develop and deliver organized and concise information to the Revenue Cycle Project Manager and/or upper management regarding proposed changes, development, and opportunities affecting the collections and revenue cycle.
- Review daily logs of employees’ work activity to ensure that accounts get the proper follow through to either ensure payment or patient responsibility,
- Review aging reports for problem insurance carriers. Discuss with appropriate Claims Resolution Specialist to determine if there are repetitive problems that need to be addressed with the insurance provider representative.
- Analyze AR reports and aging reports.
- Direct employees on problem accounts on how to resolve or notify provider representative.
- Attend third party payer meetings, seminars, and training sessions.
- Maintain good communications with applicable provider representatives.
- Attend the monthly Managed Care meeting and train staff on any new information.
- Hold monthly staff meetings.
- Handle routine problems that arise in the department such as contacting the correct person for phone and computer problems.
- Assist other department supervisors as needed.
- Maintain and ensure the confidentiality of all patient and employee information at all times.
- Will be expected to work at any FCS location to help meet FCS business needs.
- Comply with all Federal and State laws and regulations pertaining to patient care, patients’ rights, safety, billing, and collections. Adhere to all FCS and departmental policies and procedures, including IT policies and procedures and Disaster Recovery Plan.
- Keeps work area and records in a neat and orderly manner.
- Maintains all company equipment in a safe and working manner.
1. Provide daily direction and communication to employees so that departmental work is performed in a timely, efficient, and knowledgeable manner.
2. Establish work procedures and processes that support company and departmental standards, procedures, and strategic directives.
3. Provide continual evaluation of processes and procedures. Responsible for suggesting methods to improve area operations, efficiency, and service to both internal and external customers.
- Provide performance feedback and coaching on a regular basis to each team member. Write and administer performance reviews for skill improvement.
- Be available for employees that experience work problems providing appropriate coaching, counseling, direction, and resolution.
- Insure employees have appropriate training and other resources to perform their jobs.
- Respond to and resolve employee relations issues expressed by team members; create and maintain high quality work environment so team members are motivated to perform at their highest level.
- Address disciplinary and/or performance problems according to company policy. Prepare warnings and communicate effectively with employees on warnings and make effective/appropriate decisions relative to corrective action as required.
- Maintains a favorable working relationship with all other company employees to foster and promote a cooperative and harmonious working climate which will be conducive to maximum employee morale, productivity, and efficiency/effectiveness.
- Projects a favorable image of the companies to promote its aims and objectives and foster and enhance public recognition and acceptance of all of its areas of endeavor.
- Keeps immediate superior promptly and fully informed of all problems or unusual matters of significance and takes prompt corrective action where necessary or suggests alternative courses of action that may be taken.
- Performs all necessary supervisory functions to effectively and efficiently manage the personnel assigned:
- Interview and make hiring decision for any open position in the area.
- Ensures employees have appropriate training and other resources to perform their job
- Communicates areas of accountability and performance expected of personnel assigned
- Determines standards of performance as a basis to review progress of personnel assigned
- Recommends salary adjustments. transfers, promotions and dismissals
- Address disciplinary and/or performance problems according to company policy. Prepares warnings and communicates effectively with employee on disciplinary actions
- Create and maintains a cooperative and harmonious working climate conductive to maximize employee morale and productivity
- Approve time-off requests in a fair manner while ensuring adequate staff to maintain work productivity
- Develop individuals for future advancement by coaching and training
- Approve bi-weekly timecards for accuracy and submit to Payroll by deadline.
Expectation for all Employees:
Support the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect, personalization, commitment to our community, accountability and ownership.
This job description in no way states or implies that the listed duties are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor or other management personnel. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Essential Physical Requirements:
· Ability to travel independently throughout the facility to access information from other departments.
· Ability to sit, stand, walk, bend, and stoop.
· Ability to reach, grasp, manipulate equipment, type and file.
· Ability to talk and hear and communicate effectively.
Essential Mental Requirements:
- Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to self-direct and organize work and self and others.
- Ability to interpret federal/state/and other regulatory agency’s law and guideline.
- Ability to work under stress, with interruptions and deadlines.
- Ability to process verbal information and input this information into computer system.
- Ability to follow complex instructions.
- Ability to master basic math skills.
- Ability to think logically in following procedures and instructions.
- Ability to think logically and make decisions.
- Ability to utilize the FCS information system.
Essential Technical/Motor Skills:
- Ability to enter and retrieve data from computer.
- Ability to operate modern office business machinery.
- Ability to operate phone system.
Essential Sensory Requirements:
- Ability to converse in calm and friendly manner.
- Ability to view data on the FCS information system and in various written formats.
- Ability to communicate on the phone.
· Proven leadership experience
· Ability to develop and motivate a team and constructively supervise others
· Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences
· Ability to provide and support a vision and direction
· Ability to effectively communicate and interact with coworkers, Insurance company staff, hospital staff, patients, public, physicians and their staff.